Hard Work Continues To Pay Off In Storm's Second Straight Win

The Quad City Storm won their second straight Friday night at the TaxSlayer Center in their lone matchup of the regular season against the Macon Mayhem.   Cody Walsh roofed the GWG thirty seconds into overtime to finalize a 3-2 victory.


The game didn’t start as well as it finished for QC.  A sluggish first four minutes allowed the Mayhem to jump out to a 1-0 lead when Derek Sutliffe rifled home his 16th goal of the season. 


Shane Bennett tied the game and seemed to snap the Storm out of their funk when he shifted around Tanner Creel and laid in the Storm’s first.   The play was created when Skyler Smutek cranked a long clearance off the back boards that Creel appeared to believe was going for an ice.  He allowed the carom to roll out right in front of him and The Bullet was ready to shake, bake and bury the biscuit.


A strong back half of the first for the Storm was marred by a bad final two minutes and a Mayhem go-ahead goal with just 22 seconds left, scored by Sean Reynolds.


For the next two periods, Quad City was the better team for the majority of play.  Their effort was rewarded at 14:31 of the first when Mitch Mueller forced a turnover in the corner, scraped the puck up the boards to Dalton Mills who found Cody Walsh at the point.  Walsh ripped a shot on net and Al Graves tipped it by Macon netminder Tanner Creel for his fourth goal of the season, tying the game.


The 2-2 tie stayed on the board through regulation thanks to solid work from ‘Mad Dog’ Peter Di Salvo who stopped 24 of the 26 shot he faced. 


Overtime didn’t last long.  The Storm possessed the puck off the draw and Shane Bennett worked his magic all the way into the attacking end.  The puck ping-ponged back to Cody Walsh who tested the tension of the top shelf and sent the TaxSlayer Center into a craze.


Come watch the show again tomorrow night for superhero night versus the Birmingham Bulls!  Get your tickets at QuadCityStorm.com.

Brian Rothenberger